Sunday, November 20, 2005

Completed Lights Film II (remaining images)






The remaining images from the previous post.

Completed Lights Film







I wanted to upload all the images from the latest film which correlate to their respective frames in the storyboard. It shows how closely I stick to the storyboard, which is important to me as it gives me sufficient structure to work through my ideas without wasting time trying out different effects and processes, many of which are superfluous to the intent, narrative and overall meaning of the work.


So there are two posts with images in, which although out of order, give a good impression of my working patterns and structure.

Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Lights Storyboard







As suggested by the last post, I've drawn up quite a rigid storyboard for the 'Lights' piece. I'm not sure whether there's any development from the fan work, but perhaps I'm not too excited about this piece because of the quality of the clip. While the fan loop was seamless, and repeated without change, the lights loop is a bit more rough and jerky, this is especially noticeable when you listen to the soundtrack, as there is a sudden jump in the audio. But, I've done the storyboard, will be uploading stills of the finished piece in the next few days (it's a bit pathetic that it's been a week and this is all I'm uploading, more to come soon!).

Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Tunnel lights



A quick note to say I'm currently working with a clip of lights in a tunnel (though it needs some tidying up!). The image below is an example of what I've done with one line of lights, briefly, this afternoon. I'll hopefully have something worth uploading in the next few days, perhaps another storyboard as the last one worked quite well, or stills from a finished work. Also I'm currently reading/leafing through Bill Viola's collected writings, and in the next few days will be looking further into the theoretical aspect of the work again soon, so more boring and indescipherable posts to come.

"The Fan"

(Apologies, these stills are out of chronological order, though using the storyboard from the previous post, you might be able to piece them together)











I've completed the fan piece detailed in the previous post (has it been a week?), and encountered a few problems along the way. Last week my computer told me it had run out of RAM, so I had to rethink how I was going to do the work, which in turn has given me further insight into the workings of Final Cut Pro (the editing software I'm using), so it's been worthwhile in the end. I've made the piece twice in this time, and now have three versions of the work, 2 are around four and a half minutes, while the third (and final) piece is around 3:45. The first work I rushed through to discover whether the new process would work (which it did), and I made some quite minor alterations for the second piece, which I think helped the piece on further. After completing this yesterday, I made a few alterations to the structure of the piece as I felt it was too predictable, and would bore some viewers, so the stills in the blog have been taken from this final film.
There is no lag/delay/phasing in this piece of work, because the structure of the piece prohibited it. I created each part of the film (e.g. the fans emerging, converging and turning on their axes) individually, and if phasing had been introduced into each part, there would be gaps where each fan would disappear until the next section began. This piece is more concerned with the arrangement of the forms than phasing (though I will re-address phase shifting soon).

Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Storyboarding






Over the course of the week, I've done several tests, culminating in a short clip of a very stylised fan, taken from Apocalypse Now (though you wouldn't know to look at it, very different from the original). As it's the most advanced piece i've done in the past couple of weeks, I felt I should try to push it as far as I could.

Because of this, I've made quite a detailed storyboard, noting exactly what I want to achieve, and in some cases, how I can attain this. In this post I've included the two detailed storyboard pages, and two stills from films, one still with four fans, from the test piece I made, the other from the beginning sequence of the final film showing a single fan.